50 feared dead in Boko Haram attack in Borno, Nigeria

Boko Haram
Boko Haram

Around 50 people were feared killed when Boko Haram fighters armed with guns and explosives attacked a village in northeastern Nigeria, the army and local residents said on Sunday.

Local security official said, suicide bombers also carried out deadly attacks on Sunday in the Lake Chad region, an area frequently targeted by Boko Haram.

Yesterday, Nigeria’s army said Boko Haram fighters struck Dalori, about 7 miles from the northern city of Maiduguri, burning down the village and sending residents fleeing into the bush. Dalori is located near camps set up for people displaced by the seven-year Boko Haram insurgency in the northeast of Africa’s most populous country.

Army spokesman, Colonel Mustapha Anka said in a statement, ‘During the incident, lives were lost while some people sustained injuries,’. Anka said the assailants also tried to enter the Dalori camp, but they were prevented by the troops.

Local residents told AFP they fled into the bush when the Boko Haram fighters descended on Dalori camp. “We were seated outside our home shortly after the Isha prayer when we heard gunshots and within a few minutes the invaders had arrived,” Malam Masa Dalori, a community leader, told AFP.

He said, “They came in Golf saloon cars and began to shoot sporadically. Many people ran to the bush including myself,”. “When we came back in the morning the entire community has been razed. At least 50 people were also killed, many others injured,” he said.

Another villager, Mallam Hassan, gave a similar account. “I lost an uncle in the attack. But I thank God I escaped with my children,” he said. An unnamed aid worker, said the bodies of the victims had been evacuated to the hospital. He said, “I think they should be more that 50, while several others were injured,”.

Source: Vanguard

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *